Have you ever had a soup that was so delicious, you find yourself eating bowl after bowl in the same sitting before realizing you’re beyond full? Yeah, that’s me eating Pioneer Woman’s Corn Chowder with Chilies. Hands down the best soup I’ve ever made. It’s perfect year round and great to eat days in a row (if you make enough). Just as Ree says, this soup is to die for. It’s just your every day corn chowder, with a twist. Green and Adobo Chilies give this soup the perfect kick, and bacon adds that delicious savory taste. All this talk, I think I may need to make a pot this weekend…
- 2 slices Bacon, Cut Into 1/2-inch Pieces (or Smaller)
- I actually prefer more bacon, because… bacon. Typically, my Corn Chowder includes about 6 pieces of delicious bacon.
- 2 tablespoons Butter… although I may be guilty of using a little more
- 1.5 whole Yellow Onion, Diced
- 4 cups frozen Organic Corn
- PW recommends using 5 ears of shucked corn, but I don’t have time for that!
- 2 whole Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, Finely Diced
- 1 whole (4 Oz. Size) Diced Green Chilies
- If you like it extra spicy, you can add an extra can, or get HOT chilies, but I prefer mild.
- 32 ounces, or 4 cups, Organic Chicken Broth
- My favorite is from Trader Joes!
- 1-1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (more To Taste)
- 3 Tablespoons Corn Meal
- 1/4 cup Water
Add bacon to a large pot or Dutch Oven (I love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven) over medium heat and cook for a couple minutes. Add diced onion and stir until onions are clear (about 3 minutes). Add butter and melt, followed by corn, adobo and green chilies. Stir for about a minute. Add the chicken broth followed by the cream and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer.
In a small dish, mix the corn meal and water. Add a little more water if the corn meal is too thick. Stir to combine and then add to your pot. Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. If you find the chowder needs more thickening, combine additional corn meal and water and cook for another 10 minutes or so.
Serve in a bowl with a side of Sourdough, or if you’re ambitious serve inside a sourdough bread bowl. Enjoy!
XOTell your friends!