As if having a baby wasn’t glamorous enough, us women are blessed with all sorts of discomfort before, during and after labor. While there isn’t much you can do before and during labor, aside from maybe an Epidural if that floats your boat, there is one thing you can do to help soothe your lady-bits after having pushed a bowling ball out of your ute. I came across this little gem in my research during my last pregnancy, and while I unfortunately never got to put them to use thanks to Alexander being a breechling which required a Cesarean (more on that later), I sure as heck made a large batch of these to have on the ready. I’ll be whipping up a batch of these around 34-36 weeks when getting my birth kit ready for Baby Girl Nichols to make her grand debut. It’s all about being prepared!
Ladies, I give you the Post-Partum Padsicles. Ever heard of the Ring of Fire in birth? No? You should go look that up. I’ll wait. You and your lady-bits will thank me for this not-so-secret recipe later.
- Maxi Pads (you should have a stockpile going for these already). I recommend Always Maxi Pads with Wings — unscented. Buy them here. But if you have a favorite, any type will work as long as it’s thick.
- Witch Hazel (alcohol free). Cleans and moisturizes your lady bits, without irritating your already irritated skin. I prefer Thayer’s Witch Hazel found here.
- Aloe Vera Gel. I prefer this brand, but whatever you use make sure its pure Aloe Vera gel and not liquid concentrate.
- Buy 2 bottles to be safe. You can always use this for other purposes later.
- Lavender Essential Oil. This should be a staple in your home. It’s great to put in a diffuser to calm the environment, and actually something I recommend including in your birth kit (more on that later). If you’ve never purchased Essential Oils before, I would recommend finding a local Young Living or DoTerra rep. Alternatively you can buy DoTerra Lavender EO on Amazon — just be wary of other EO’s on Amazon, as they may not be as pure.
- Zip-Lock Bags & Aluminum Foil (optional). You probably already have these in your house. Make sure you’re using the gallon freezer-friendly zip-lock bags.
- Partially unwrap a few pads at a time, but do not detatch the wrapper.
- I would make about 2 dozen to have at the ready.
- Spread aloe vera generously up and down the whole pad. Trust me, be generous with this stuff and cover the whole pad.
- Pour about 1 teaspoon of witch hazel down the middle of the pad (end-to-end). You can eyeball this.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil. Use more or less as you see fit.
- Fold the pads back up to how they were.
- If you accidentally removed the wrapper, you can wrap in aluminum foil.
- Stick them in a gallon freezer bag, then freeze.
How to use a Padsicle:
- Pull them out of the freezer one-by-one as needed, and let them thaw for a few minutes prior to using.
- Place the padsicle in your Grannies after using the restroom.
- If you’re worried about the ice leaking, you can rest the padsicle on top of another maxi pad or wear with Depends (yeah you’re practically in a diaper at this point) .
- Clean yourself with a spray of warm water from your peri bottle and dab dry with some ultra-soft TP (don’t WIPE!).
- I also like to use I love Earth Mama’s New Mama Bottom Spray. This stuff is so soothing.
- Continue to live life as normal as you can, and don’t forget to breathe!
XOTell your friends!