Every now and then Anthony and I try to eat healthy. O.K. maybe more him than me. My mom shared this delicious and easy recipe and I figured I’d give it a go. It only involves a couple main ingredients, and takes little effort to prepare. You can prepare most of this ahead of time, if you’re looking for something to pull out of the fridge after a long day at work. All of these ingredients are available at Trader Joes or Sprouts, or in any regular Grocery Store.
- 1 can of Black Beans, drained
- 1 cup of Wild Rice or Brown Rice, cooked
- 1 cup of Trader Joes Cowboy Caviar Salsa
- If you don’t have a Trader Joes near you, I would recommend finding a corn-based salsa.
- 1 or 2 Skinless Salmon filets, or other fish of choice
- 1 Avocado
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional: Sour Cream
Preheat oven to 425°. Drizzle EVOO over the salmon, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place salmon on a foil-lined sheet, and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from pan, set aside and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
In a large bowl, combine the beans, rice and salsa. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
Split the bean mix into two smaller bowls, and top with cooked fish. Add half an avocado to each bowl, a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy!
This pairs nicely with a Sauvignon Blanc. I recommend Kono or Sauvignon Republic from Trader Joes, or Starborough which can be purchased at most Grocery Stores. Look for these under Marlborough Region, New Zealand, wines.
Mix it up a little!
- Substitute rice with quinoa.
- Substitute fish with a cooked chicken breast.
- Substitute cowboy salsa with mango salsa. Add a can of cooked corn, and top with a squeeze of lime.
XOTell your friends!